Thursday, June 17, 2010

A Collection Of Last Glances

A collection of last glances
formulated for remembrance -
a smile,
a wave,
a laugh,
a gentle face in repose
crowned in salt & pepper softness…

I’ve gathered them over the years,
wondering which would be the last,
the most treasured,
the dearest image left
shimmering on the surface
of my mind.

But there isn’t a last
or a best
or a favorite.

They all stand together -
treasures in a row -
like burnished pearls
strung on cords of memory
or rare leather-bound editions
lined along shelves of finest wood.

I’ll keep them close
to my heart
and pull them out
when I need them.

And it won’t matter
which happened when -
what was first
or last
or years ago –

But that I have been blessed
to be the collector.


8-22-07 - In honor of my sweet mother-in-law

No comments:

Post a Comment