Thursday, April 7, 2011

Happy Birthday To A Friend


If I could, I would take you –

at this very moment,

by side- along apparition, of course –

(as every Harry Potter fan knows

Is possible) -

to a bright & open & sunny café for breakfast

to celebrate this happy date in time -

your birthday!


We would sip café au lait

and nibble golden almond-flecked croissants,

sides of warm fruit

and glasses of sharp & sweet

orange sunshine.


The bookstores would call us

and we’d speed away laughing,

debating destinations

by numbers of shelves

or quality of treasure.


We would plunge into the stacks,

lifting aging volumes to our noses

and breathing in their history

as we debated purchases

and gloried over discoveries.


Then, foot-weary but satisfied

we would drift into the Tearoom -

smelling the poppy seed muffins

freshly baked

and the floral, fragrant Earl Grey

reaching to us from the front threshold.


We’d let the china patterned teapots steep

with their inner glowing amber

and we’d talk

and giggle.

And I would life a cup high

and thank the Lord

for the blessing

of my friend.


You’d wave me off

and laugh

with your light, dancing eyes

and declare that we Southern women

don’t talk about birthdays.

Or maybe what you’d say

is that time, itself,

is our friend

because years shared

in happy communion

only add

to Aladdin’s stored wonders

of thoughts, and mirth, and stories

and sometimes tears.


But I am miles away

from you, my friend –

at least for today.


And I raise my cup anyway

in celebration

of The Countess!









Written April 7, 2011 - 8:30am

No comments:

Post a Comment