Thursday, September 9, 2010

Shawnee Recalled

Crossing the road

is always

more difficult

than just gazing down

its limits.

A storm pelts the horizon’s rim,

(I can see the lightning

from here.)

and a remote windchime is carried

to my tingling ears.


Somewhere in this world -

when my singular, precious

time with you was over -

you were led

(probably not with docile steps)

to sheltered moonlit stalls,

where your blue eyes

would peer from the darkness

like sparks

in a furnace.


How often did I laugh,

or just peer cautiously…

wonderingly…

into their icy-white-blue

abyss?


Your coal-black mane

in tangled, hopeless snarls

upon your neck,

soaked up many a tear

and kept me in balance

on many bareback rides -

slipping under wind-stroked

sun-washed

sweet-scented Carolina pines.


No other creature

reacted as you did -

with as much fervor

or head-tossed retaliation to life.


I long stretch my fingers out

to touch you -

to wrap my arms in abandon

around your supple, burnished neck.

I miss those moments

when I knew you were mine.

Shawnee,...

And it seems so long ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment